Beginner's Guide to the TOG FTB/MindCrack Server (Mindcrack Server no longer used)

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by Obsi, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoathy

Hoathy Retired Moderator

Sweet. I do want dark iron. I might bug you next time we are both on

2. Irimar

Irimar Retired Captain

Yeah, no problem. I'll be on sometime in the next hour or less, probably for a couple of hours.

3. TAZZROK

TAZZROK Getting Started

jump in mumble when ya can WB some one will help ya sort it out

4. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

As a last resort. We are not planning to wipe the world again. Generally each of our worlds have lasted 1 or 1.5 years. They then get regenerated/replaced because of updates/congestion/wanting something new.

As for caves... just you wait :)

Sorontar

5. white_bear_84

white_bear_84 Retired Captain

Im intruiged!! I started building some caves and tunnels in my first world - if i mine a large area im probably keen to fill it up with stairs and walkways and all sorts of passages and stuff

I read in another post you can use water to fill mines or something along that line, but is it ok if your using the water as an aesthetic feature e.g. a couple of waterfalls?!?!

Well in that case - a year is a long time.. ..might try claim my stake tonight if i get the last mod working correctly! :)

6. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

What I'd suggest is that if you plan to build in the land outside the city - but want a backup house for storage or whatnot - grab one of the smaller size plots around the edge of the city. Build a basic house there then venture out.

If you have no plans to ever want to be in the city - by all means just go out and start building where you like

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  7. white_bear_84

Yeah thats what i was thinking.. ..it would be nice to contribute to the city too!! :D

8. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

Flowing water is bad for the server due to the lag as it handles the water. For that reason, we have had to make rules about using water in quarry spaces and had to remove the old Myst world (melting glaciers).

Players certainly can use flowing water fountains and waterfalls. We just ask that they consider its contribution to lag. Flooding an entire mine is not a good idea.

Sorontar

9. Hoathy

Hoathy Retired Moderator

Hehe I won't be. I'm using the forums from work (don't tell my boss!!)

10. white_bear_84

Will definitely take this into consideration if i use water at all, does water sources/level water (not moving) affect lag at all?

11. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

Not that we know of. Its height doesn't need to be calculated, nor does it need to be animated at the client level. The problem is that sometimes the top of the water can be flat but under the top can be running. That is why mining out the ocean floor with machines is not a good idea.

Sorontar

12. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

Anything that can contribute to lag is preferred to be done out of the city - the problem is that the amount of space a player keeps loaded while being in an area is quite large, so that means that while players are in the city, most of the city is kept loaded at the same time. So that's a lot of "stuff" happening in a smallish space. Which all contributes to lag.

Waterfalls and things on their own aren't so much of a problem individually - but it's while there are a lot of machines and animals and water and things all contributing to lag - it gets too much for the server to handle.

The reason we've said no water in quarries is because people typically put water in the ground level of a quarry (so that if the quarry found lava it converts it to obsidian) because it's easier, meaning that it's then pouring down from ground level to bedrock. The more the water flows, the more lag increases. So that's why we've said no water in quarries.

13. white_bear_84

Ditto. I have spent the last hour designing the building i want to construct in the sanctuary city. Its going to be pretty epic i think.

Sucks i wont be home for an 4 hours...

14. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

You mean the FTB Mindcrack city. Sanctuary is no more (until we make it available for download).

We will probably get a map of the Mindcrack world up this Sunday. The city map has been updated daily so far.

Sorontar

15. white_bear_84

Ok, now FTB is saying i need 1.4.6 but have 1.4.7 installed... :mad:

Tried to get into mumble using the details provided but thats not working either.. ..its getting pretty frustrating :(

Edit: Holy Barnacles batman!! Its working!! No idea how lol.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  16. Cheith

Cheith Active Member

If you try and download an old version (eg 7) before downloading the recommended version (currently 8.0.1) it downloads the wrong version of minecraft!

Also note that some of the primary download links are out (Mo creatures, custom mob spawner). The mirrors still work

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  17. Irimar

Irimar Retired Captain

Looks like the server fell over. I can't get to it.

18. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

19. Misnik

Misnik Retired Architect

I'm glad, so far my work pc isn't agreeing with adfly to download the files for the new setup. So haven't been able to connect or try to connect from here yet.

20. Irimar

Irimar Retired Captain

It shows up for me now. I got booted, and then it showed up unavailable, even after I had closed down the launcher completely and re-started.

No one was on at the time but Cheith and I, so I'm going to go ahead and blame Cheith. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.