Battlefield 3 *2011*

Discussion in 'Battlefield (Public)' started by Ned, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Binary-Ninja

Binary-Ninja Well-Known Member

BF2 was a old engine refractor i think ....BFBC2 used frostbite and the BF3 will be first to use frostbite 2.0

2. Samanth0r

Samanth0r Just Joined

So excited for this game particularly the return of jets and 64 player matches.

3. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

4. Stalin

Stalin Well-Known Member

I really, really want to believe...but it's EA/DICE...they have disappointed me...so many times....lol :)

5. Spectre8

Yep - me too... me too.

But - it'll never be the game I want. It's the game they made, so we'll have to wait and see how it pans out, weather it's dumbed down to make it "accessable" or easier to convert it to console play, or or or or... there were so many things that BF2 didn't have that were really needed. I'm sure there'll still be things that aren't there, but I still hope the things that are there from the get-go are fun to use.

Too many games these days forget that "fun" is why we're all here. Sure there are different ways to get that enjoyment, and it's a hard one to nail down, but it's all important.

We'll see, but for the moment, it sounds and looks cool (as it should being a promo) :p

6. Binary-Ninja

It has no commander apparently this has has been announced on a few BF3 forums

7. Spectre8

Good - it was either underused or abused. One thing I'm hoping against hope that they do NOT have is some sort of "heartbeat" sensor, or "radar" that can see an infantryman, even inside a building... just stupid, and a complete strategy killer.

Stalin likes this.
  8. Binary-Ninja

their is 3D spotting but what that actually is i have no clue

9. Alpha_Au

Alpha_Au Well-Known Member

Separate teams really are a must. You can't water down a top tier A-grade product just to make it easier to cross port over to ' consoles ' . Don't care how advanced they are, they're still just too different.

Im sure BF3 will be several shades of awesome, i think we can trust DICE on that.

Not sure on the commander feature being missing, i thought that was really helpful to your team when you knew what you were doing. Unfortunately this wasn't the majority.

Agree with spectre on the inside building sensor/radar. But outdoors, i think it should stay. That part is pretty normal.

:)

Stalin likes this.
  10. GenesisInc

GenesisInc Elder Scrolls Online Officer

3D spotting is when they put a triangle over your head isn't it?

maybe they are gonna add some depth perception so you can tell just how far away the triangle is?

11. Stalin

Stalin Well-Known Member

I would prefer if there was no spotting at all. That would give an advantage to people in squad using voip talking to each other about stuff like where the enemy is. Requires a functioning voip tho...unlike BC2 :p

12. Spectre8

3D spotting is pure sci-fi - and while I am a total sci-fi geek - it does not belong in a present-day "real world" setting. BF2 had UAV's you could call in that would show the enemy up as a red dot on the good guy's maps - PRECISELY. So a sniper who had been observing and calling in enemy troop movements and done nothing to give away his position instantly has a jet fighter dropping a 500lb bomb on him with 100% accuracy - or the special-ops squad who have spent the last five minutes sneaking around the back-side of the map to infiltrate from the flanks has an APC waiting for them to show up...

It's crap. There's not a radar in the world that works that way. Even UAV's with infra-red cameras can't see troop movements through 4 foot of solid concrete... it's the element brought into games to keep people feeling secure, and to make sure everyone's on the same level playing field.

But I don't want a level playing field. I want to be rewarded for good, and tactically intelligent play. If I can out-smart the other players, I deserve to get the kill. As it is with "heartbeat sensors" and "radar" in most modern FPS titles, the biggest noob on the team gets a little blip telling him where every bad guy is around him.

And don't get me started on the magic "UAV jammer" perk in the COD titles.... srsly? If a UAV can see you through a metre of steel-reinforced concrete, but the bloke with the "perk" can't be seen taking a piss in broad daylight, then there's something seriously wrong with the game.

Lets hope there's some clever, and logically mature minds at work within DICE.

13. DougB

DougB Well-Known Member

Yep totaly agree with you on that one Spectre8. Apparently they (EA) have some big shindig next week in New York. Demize via Twitter, hinted that maybe, just maybe there will be more details announced then. Time will tell though about the "spotting feature".

Edit: I have re read the tweet about next weeks EA meeting, there's nothing in it. But stranger things have happened.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  14. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

I don't mind it in COD titles because it's a run and gunner. They offer the tools as well as the counters to just about everything.

I also don't have that many objections to similar systems if they were used for BF3. I quite like the triangle idea as it helps promote teamwork but perhaps if it was reserved for only those in your squad...?

If I want to get my hardcore freak on, I look towards ARMA2. That's where I feel I've actually accomplished something on a successful mission.

Jakob_Pavlov likes this.
  15. seedy

seedy Just Joined

all battlefield games up to battlefield 2 were the bomb... then i bought badcompany 2 thinking it would be a follow on from the good old days of BF2... i was so disappointed that i have bairly put in 20 hours to that lame game.. battlefield 3 better impress with at least a decent intro video (somethin that is lacking in BC2 the complete FAIL) ... I hope BF3 is as good as 2.. just so i dont waist another £40 on a bad game..

16. Jubby

Jubby Well-Known Member

So you would still be playing BC2 if it had a decent intro video? The criteria you are using to rate games is rather .....unique

Jakob_Pavlov likes this.
  17. Spectre8

Yeah I'm a bit the same (not about the intro vid though :p) and didn't really get much out of BC2. I played it heaps, just didn't enjoy it. I gave it every opportunity to work for me, but it just lacked... something. BF2 was a great game, but still far from perfect - but BC2 was (for me) a very good console shooter. That's about the most honest, and brutal criticism I can level at it - but I think it sums it up perfectly.

I'd like to believe the developers when they say "PC is the lead design platform" but I still think they'll make the menus simple for thumbsticks to use, the button (whoops, I mean keyboard) defaults simple and limited like in BC2... I hope I'm wrong.

Perfect example of this in BC2 was running in to defuse the bomb and all you could do was pick-up weapons on the ground because they're the same damn shared key. I could (and wont) go on....

18. Binary-Ninja

BC2 also was not what i thought .. i had logged many hrs in BF2 and my expectation of BC2 was the same but maybe just on smaller maps boy i was wrong.. It turned out that the small maps actually ruined the battlefield game and made it a campfest with half the team camped on hill tops in sniper gear and no team work happening it was just a poor shadow of BF2 on a much smaller scale.....

The fact is BC2 was a pure console port and it is why they tended to make the maps smaller , player numbers less , the last few COD titles have been similar as well MW2 was probably the worst case scenario of console port ....

If BF3 does it right they can make it for PC fully based on the large scale like BF2 and then reduce maps size / player numbers for consoles..

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
    Stalin likes this.
  19. extremedavo

extremedavo Getting Started

BC2 was never meant to be part of the BF series. They are completely different productswith their own style and gameplay. BF3 is being designed as a true sequal so you should be expected this to fit the mould of BF2.

20. comman

comman TOGOA High Sec Director

can not wait :)