ATTN: HotLead *Urgent*

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Rickety, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

Just a heads up mate. In case you haven't noticed, your Aussie Gamers site has been hacked and is being redirected to some lame site.

2. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

Yeah, thanks Rickety been like that since Sunday morning. Unfortunately there are 3 of us who run the site, the guy who is in contact with our hosting provider is of course on holidays and since he has been away the admin password has been reset, so we have to wait till he a) checks his mail, b) the weekend when he arrives home.

It's been a real pain to see the site being hacked, but fortunately not too much damage has been done. I think it's some script kiddie who has gotten a hold of a script that hacks PHP-Nuke in a certain way.

Thanks again for the note, much appreciated.

3. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

What a bunch of lamers. :roll:

I wish these people would find something productive to do with their time...

4. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

I've seen other sites redirected to a page that looks just like that - years ago but.

It must be a well known script or at least easily available. You'd think PHP would have some sort of security fix for that though.

5. Rickety

No worries mate. Was going to have a look through the forums but I'll wait until it's back to normal :)

In the interum, I'm wondering if you guys have thought about what 'type' of server you are going for? With the next (WoW) beta push, Blizzard have said that they are going to include a PvP server. This leads me to think which server should we go for?

Pure carebare, Pure PvP, FVF?

Any discussion on it yet?

6. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

not a lot of meaningful discussion, apart from forum trolls most people have registered just to keep tagged with the site until we get closer to release date.

From what I understand there will be 2 types at release

Normal - you can PvE most places without fear and only battle against opponents in designated areas, very similar to Dark Age of Camelot. Some of the realism is lowered as you will be able to see the opposite team but not attack or kill, though consensual duelling will probably be in.

Factional PvP - everywhere you go you are a possible target of the opposing team. Not a lot of detail has been released about this server type, though as you mentioned that will be the new server rules for the next server during the next push. I would probably lean away from this as getting ganked while fighting PvE is not fun, regardless of how you try and spin it.

The biggest fear is that we will not get release at the same time as the US and that an Aus server opens up at a later date, which will split the community even more.

7. Rickety

I doubt very much we will see an Aussie server within a year of launch. I don't think there is even an Australian D2 Realm server so the chances of getting a farm for WoW is pretty remote. Although I know you are catering for aussie players, the best choice of server location is the US West coast. You can usually get anywhere between 150-250 pings. I've found latency with these servers to be acceptable.

I tend to agree with you regarding FvF although, from a guild standpoint, FvF is very entertaining if you have a good number of guildies on at the same time. I know many of our TOG players outside of Australia are interested in PvP so this may very well effect our (TOG's) server choice.

This is, of course, a bit premature since they havn't even announced how many and what type of servers will be available at launch but it's never to soon to prepare :)

On another note, Blizz have mentioned there will be an open beta. Do you recon this will be a 'true' open beta like they did with D2 (anyone could download the client and play) or will this simply mean a 'boatload' of beta applications being accepted?

8. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

I'd like to hope that it's a free-for-all, and that anyone that can download the beta can play, but I don't know if Blizzard would have the capability to handle the initial load. The amount of excitement and numbers this thing is generating could mean a full open beta will be a useless exercise, unless they had all the servers up and ready to go.

I mean they had 400,000 signups for closed beta in the space of a week, if they had open beta I would guess 800K-1Mil peeps worldwide who would start playing, almost double EQ's current subscription base. The reason I think this high is that Blizzard may tap into the B.Net crowd who have never quite dipped into MMOG's before but see a chance to play a free game for a little while.

Time will tell, the impression from the community managers seems to be a full open beta, ie whenever someone complains about missing beta signup the response everytime is wait for open beta.

9. Rickety

I think what they'll do to stem the tide somewhat is to offer the open beta on paid subscription sites like FilePlanet. It's what they did for D2 beta (from memory).

10. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

sounds like a reasonable system, though they used bit torrent to distribute the closed beta ....

BTW our site is back, though we would suggest holding off registering/logging on until the weekend when we sort out all the security problems.

11. Rickety

Thanks mate. I'll be sure to check it out :)