Article about crafting and in-game economy

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online (Public)' started by Grayman, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Grayman

Grayman Lord of the Rings Leader

Thymos likes this.
  2. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

This is what I am most interested in for this game. Thanks for sharing this! +1

I intend to play casually and want to focus on crafting and gearing others up. Love that I can setup a store to sell within the guild, mainly to cover my own costs.

3. Nukluk

Nukluk Elder Scrolls Online -= PLATINUM =- Captain

I read that recently too. I expect many buyers and sellers to be joining larger guilds.

I'm also curious how the Cyrodiil buying/selling will go. Imo, that mechanic will encourage and reward AvA. I haven't done much PvP since being very active in DAoC's RvR. But I may have to jump into Cyrodiil for the fun and rewards.

I also intend to play casual and gather what I can for crafters. I usually play so casually that I'd never progress my levels if I crafted, so instead I sell mats and buy crafted gear or donate mats to guild mates. However, TESO may be different enough to encourage me to craft my own stuff like I do in Skyrim.

4. Grayman

Grayman Lord of the Rings Leader

I craft just enough in LOTRO to level up with the crafters' guilds and be able to make stuff for my own characters. In that game, at least, it's frequently just as cost effective to buy stuff off the auction as to make it yourself because being forced to make so many items to level at the craft means every player essentially has 120 helmets and 120 boots et cetera at whatever level they're working on and they have to dump that inventory somewhere.

What I've read about TESO leads me to believe it'll be worth my time to get more into crafting, and the concept of being able to set up your own store (if I'm understanding that correctly) sounds truly interesting. As a beta wannabe (I've applied about, I dunno, maybe five or six hundred times but never got the key) I can't wait until the NDA gets lifted and the lucky participants can answer some of these questions.

5. juliedog

juliedog Lord of the Rings Online Officer

I love crafting... and selling my wares! Sounds great!

6. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

Seems the individual, the explorer, the "hermit master" crafter element is being nixed. Another crank on the restrictive MMO structure in a game I had hoped to hold more sandbox / free form.

I saw this article while my wife and I slept at the airport terminal. My mind whirled around this passing time during our layover.

I am disappointed in this move. What I gather, the largest guild will dominate the market / economy on a SINGLE server game. If anyone plays EVE Online, picture one Corporation owning the economy.

Patch this in with the intent to place FEE2play booths for those who want to pay their way to specialized equipment and the main stakeholders (guilds) owning the market...

Always enjoyed the harvesting / crafting / selling of proper MMO's.

I hope they add some clarity in the near future. I still look forward to the release though more and more, this appears to be killing the solo traveler and pushing for the conglomerate guild necessity.

7. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

November 1st, 2013
    A really great article found here on crafting and the economy. There is another linked direct interview within the article.
    ESO and the Resurgence of the Social Economy

Two favorite market / crafting aspects - Involved in a TOG based guild, offering at costpricing for guildies while selling wares to the outside players for profit.
    OR
    Solo - Individual play style of exploration, harvesting, crafting and marketing.

Hopefully we will hear more on this aspect as these are valuable play styles for many crafters.

I LOVE the idea of eliminating the Auction House crap - kudos to ESO! The Auction House movement of MMO's is a continuous design flaw focused on the impulsive kiddy players of today.

8. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Guild Store: Restrictive Feature with a Purpose? is another good article

As for solo players that want to be crafters... those people tend to fill a niche. Even in reality. A solo crafter doesn't make it rich without the backing of some other organization. However they can focus on one little thing and do it really great and probably focus on selling through chat instead of a store.

9. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

I tend to agree. Having been a beta player and long standing adventurer of DAoC, holding or having to defend a keep is very unusual. In fact typically a couple days held or without having to defend is a massive celebration!
    Who in their right mind thinks they will retain a customer base if the customers do not know where the shop is located because the keep was taken or dare no thought to travel to reach this keep due to constant pvp action large or small... Now, top that with the basis, a keep is under attack upon the first pvp action large or a single attack. When this happens, no one may teleport for craft purchase nor defense of the keep.

They have already tweeked their core idea once to open for guilds to sell to non guild players... I sure hope they modify or bring more open clarity to the solo crafter whom seeks to set a stand to sell the wares of his/her craft without a Walmart guild backing to simply enable their sales.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  10. Nukluk

Nukluk Elder Scrolls Online -= PLATINUM =- Captain

The Auction House mechanics are perhaps my biggest quandary for the game, and I have a lot of questions and concerns on how the AH dynamics will work in-game:

• How will non-guild members be able to use the AH of another guild who has one open while that guild owns a keep?
      • Will they have to travel to the keep and click on an AH NPC there?
      • Or will the AH be available as a UI element to any alliance member no matter where they are?
    • If the AH is bound to an NPC at the keep, will he be killable by an opposing alliance?
      • If so, those NPCs will often be among the first to go for grief-factor.
    • If you are in the middle of a transaction when the keep (or the AH NPC) is attacked, what happens to your transaction?
      • Will there be glitches that cause loss of gold and/or items?
        • If so, will the logs be robust enough for GMs to fix the issues for both buyer and seller?
    • If you have a ton of items in your keep-masters guild AH, and the keep is taken, where does all your stuff go?
      • Will items go back into your personal inventory and/or bank?
        • What if your personal inventory and bank are full of other things? What happens to the items then?
      • Or will items just go into the guild's bank?
        • Will it be somehow tagged for you if it does?
      • Or will there be a separate AH depository for you and/or your guild that will house all the AH items that are no longer available to the public at large?
      • Or will the AH still be open and usable by guild mates and just not open to non-guildies?
        • If your guild AH is still open, how is it now accessed? I'd suspect via a UI window, and if I'm right I would think it is always accessed that way (with or without a keep).
    I could go on and on, spinning the wheels in my mind. I really hope we get some concrete details soon that can answer these kinds of questions.

11. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

Ya, I agree. IMO, seems with their reversal of guild only sales, there is still internal debate going as to ESO's desire for crafter / economy... Getting tight on time though.

12. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

Here is a great article on crafting. If they fix their crappy guild requirement for the crafter's to sell their wares (Thankfully tremors of modifications are in the cards) - This will be a real winner for crafters / merchants at heart seeking an MMO to fill that void.

Cheers to Barron for simplifying a rather technical system.

The whole article can be found here: ESO Guide | The #1 Fansite for Elder Scrolls Online News, Previews and Reviews

13. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Thanks Sytes. This is what I am most looking forward to.

14. Blue_Talon

Blue_Talon Well-Known Member

Armorsmithing plus enchanting looks like the best choice. Perhaps Alchemy instead of enchanting.

It sounds like a good system. Seems reasonably flexible too. All they need to do to add more items is provide more crafing materials and let the players figure it out.

15. Xyth

Xyth Getting Started

Figuring out recipes is great. I would be outstanding if the recipes were character specific and could not easily be shared by websites, but rather could be partially taught to guild mates. Asheron's Call had a system like this for learning spells which was very challenging and fun.

16. Blue_Talon

It's was mentioned in one of the links posted above that the devs expect third party sites to list recipes quickly but they hope the desire to experiment and learn crafts will be a major draw for party of the community.

I expect power gamers and dedicated crafters to optimise their crafting very quickly.

17. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

18. BlackStar

BlackStar Getting Started

I've thought about it some more, and I'm starting to see a few positives.

1. One of those articles pointed out that guilds will change hands frequently, so as long as one guild can't hold a keep for a long period of time, they won't be getting too rich.

2. They also mentioned that people won't be able to count on any particular items being in the keep because it will change hands, and a different guild means different items available.

3. This will effectively defeat gold farmers from owning the market, because there won't be a place for them to sell. I REALLY like this aspect of it.

4. As a result of #2, people will start finding friendly crafters via word of mouth, or perhaps titles, or maybe even a Looking For Craft tool. That means that crafting will be more relevant and perhaps more profitable for people who do it since one person won't be able to dominate the market for even one item. Even if they can make it, they can't easily broadcast that to all their potential customers.

That said, people (including gold farmers) will probably go back to the old system of spamming any available global chat channels. So let's hope that those don't exist.

19. Snowbull

Snowbull Retired Moderator

*Stands up in front of everyone*

*Casts his eyes around and then says* Hello, my name is Snow and I craft. I've done it in every game and I will continue to do it in every game I like.. In every game I master or grandmaster every craft.. The only game I have not done that in that I played is Aion..

In only one game did I even bother about the AH and that was SWTOR where I set the prices for weapons on Kettemoor and had other Master Weaponsmiths abusing me on a daily basis.. Hey I could and I did so it was their bad luck..

I know some people play the AH and good on them, you master that and you deserve what you get.. I only craft for the fun of it and to help others (and myself of course) with gear..

If I can actually make gear that will be worth the having, I'm going to love it.. Otherwise I'll just craft to the best of my abilities and try to have fun.

20. Blue_Talon

My answers are below in red. All info taken from my limited knowledge from multiple sites.

No info at all from the beta.