ARMA II - Operation Arrowhead (Expansion)

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Reoh, Aug 14, 2009.

1. spiritwalker

spiritwalker Mechwarrior Online Captain

Thanks for the game gents. Watching you from towering above with my sniper rifle at my side was blast :)

2. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

This was without a doubt the best MP session so far mission "feel of being there" wise. The continuous push forward through the environment base > villages > bigger town was really cool. The whole thing felt very natural in the way it flowed, blowing up that weapons cache was a real highlight of accomplishment.

Definitely would love to play this one again, does it eventually end though, can the mission be completed? Shame things crashed when we hit the town.

Top job fox on taking lead!

3. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

:) Glad you liked it Father. Sometimes the full tac jargon can freak ppl out. You get periods of boredom where you sit in a field and watch butterfly's and then you get the order to advance and a ton of shite hits you from multiple directions. When that is clear then you're back to bird watching. Oddly, I don't mind the quiet times as long as the mission isn't like that (and that has happened).

The mission does end. There are 9 weapon cache's to deny the enemy. We destroyed one and were close to finding the second. That took 3 hours.

I'm going to set up a Arrowhead anti-tank test firing range so I can work out the different rocket launchers in Arrowhead. I want to learn how to calibrate the launchers and score a one-shot-one kill. I can host myself and three others at most. It might be a bit laggy but we'll be standing around firing weapons so a little bit of lag will be fine.

2:30pm (Sydney time) on TOG TS3. First three ppl to post here get tickets to the Fox AT shoot fest. :D

4. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

Sounds like a great night! I was away for the weekend, and the computer there can't even run Google Sketch-up, let alone an FPS :p Good to be away, bad to miss the fun - but there will be good times ahead no doubt :)

5. Fox

I put the AT firing range in the download section. Start a MP game and blow stuff up for fun ... I mean for practice. ;)

6. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

Got it! Will have a run-around during the week...
    Just to confirm.. are all of the game's Anti-Tank weapons available?

7. Fox

All the Arrowhead one's that I could find are available. :)

You'll run out of targets before you run out of rockets. :)

8. Fox

I looked up what the notches and lines mean on the MAAWS (Carl Gustov) launcher. The numbers 1 -> 5 represent 100 metres through to 500m. The lines and notches on the side are meant to help predict moving targets.

Unfortunately there is a consensus that rocket ballistics are not modelled correctly and everyone pretty much puts the target on the '2' or the '3' and score a hit every time. :( There are or will be mods that fix that but that's a whole new story - they are not user friendly.

9. Fox

So on Sat 21st (this Saturday) I'll be on ZSU server running or co-ordinating a full tac mission. Noobs are welcome and mistakes are okay. It's a public-relations exercise so noobs are encouraged. :)

8pm (or soon after)

I'll be on a public TS3 co-ordinating the battle - please join me on this TS3 server :-
    Port 9987
    No password

It's open night and they are encouraging everyone to try this new format. It will be semi-tactical which basically means "for real" but we are totally ready for mistakes, accidents and the "dumb" questions. :) It should be a fun night and I expect to be one of the team leads. Whoo Ra!

You can try XFiring me but I don't get messages in-game so to find me and hook up to my squad, join that TS3 server, jump to the ZSU channel and look for

Cougar (not Fox)

as that is my Arma2 alias. :)

Vanilla Arrowhead is all you'll need. Barra, Ned, Spec would love this format. Carcas will be there. Ulric and Father may join, Spirit Walker is a veteran already. We have our own little army!

If we all attend (8 players) then we will probably have to go two squads of four each. If anyone has a burning desire to be a fireteam leader then Saturday night will be your chance. ;)

On Sat 28th we might have some private server options for a change of pace. :)

10. Spectre8

Awesome - I'm there :) I'll even try to have a slightly more appropriate name than Spectimus Maximus... although it does make me feel like an old skool warrior!! :p

No burning (or otherwise) desire for leadership - but will make a good Corporal :)

11. Ned

I'll be there !!

12. Barrakooda

Barrakooda Well-Known Member

Have a couple of lads I fly IL2 with that might be interested, ok to ask them to come along?

13. Fox

Hell yes - open night - even bring ya g/friend!

(or not)

14. spiritwalker

I will be there albeit a little later on :)

15. Barrakooda

Barrakooda Well-Known Member

16. Ned

Sorry for the no-show. I ended up throwing a few hours into singleplayer.

17. spiritwalker

Yes I am too as soon as we put the kids to bed watching the coverage on the election on channel 9 and couldn't get away!

As soon as I came back to TS (as I logged on) everyone had gone.

I think next week might be a no show for me as I will be at a LAN.

18. Fox

We'll see if we can get a private TOG game next Sat. :)

19. Spectre8

Had a blast!! Excellent mission structure there, and great to see so many active fireteams all co-operating so well :)

I had several annoying issues right through the night - but the killer was when my entire system crapped itself - couldn't even ctrl+alt+del my way out!! :) And it being after midnight - was as good an excuse as any.

Bugs that were a real problem, were obviously the spawn bug (known) but I also had issues that are probably with my client, rather than the map/mission. As the top-gunner in the hummer, I'd be locked into only one view type, depending on whether someone was driving at the time... I'd be stuck in iron-sights, or have no access to them... very frustrating.

Also, my squad icons disappeared after the first two minutes of gaming. No problem there if it's due to a hard-core setting, but to have them - and then not - and to have everyone else having them... makes it very hard to see where your squad is. But it's great for tightening up your situational awareness!! :)

Overall I had a blast. Really enjoyed it, in every way. And while I'm looking forward to the next one - I'll be busy next weekend :( Ahh well, will sort something out.

Thanks to all who were involved - loved it!!

20. Fox

Pogoman is the mission designer. He has already released a new beta version that has respawn and capture fixed. :)

I'm hoping to play some smaller and less hectic missions next Saturday night - TOG only, we'll see how it pans out.