ARMA II - Operation Arrowhead (Expansion)

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Reoh, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Yep, they're already releasing an expansion named ARMAII - Operation Arrowhead. How do you guys feel about that?

2. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Non plussed at the moment. Little data about it apart from a new island. I've spend about 3 hours playing solo and 26 hours (according to xfire) playing MP. I just hope they employ the fixes to the original that they do to the addon.

3. Ulric

Ulric Administration Team Leader Staff Member Administrator Moderator

ARMA II Expansion Pack Announced! (Press release)

Interesting that not that long after the release of the game there is now an expansion pack.

4. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Yeah, thats even less time than L4D2 was announced. Seems a bit premature to me.

5. kahlo13

kahlo13 Getting Started

Actually like it!

ArmA2 had been in development for a long time and the events in the game reflect that. So to stay topical and to reflect the contemporary conflicts and the new battle space. It makes sense when you consider that the game genre is Sim. It also gives modders more to work with. I am looking forward to it. I would not consider the money spent on ArmA2 a waste as I of late have been gaming for 6 hour stretches for the past week alone and will be using the addons for that game as I still do with Armed Assault. It would be great if they have optimised the engine and they way it deals with memory and some multi GPU support straight out of the box would be good, also, I just bought a TrackIR5 pro kit and would like full 6 DOF. However would they have been able to put these into the game within Development schedule? who knows. I for one am keeping a really close eye on this release.

6. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

(27-Dec-2009)
    Official site - ARMA 2 - Operation Arrowhead

Some good news...
    BattlEye Anti-Cheat to protect ArmA 2 and ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead
    SOURCE: BattlEye - The Anti-Cheat Engine

===

(23-April-2010)
    Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Arrives In June - Voodoo Extreme

===

(11-May-2010)

More info at the official site..
    ARMA 2 Official Website - ARMA 2

===

(26-June-2010)
    Night Ops Tutorial Trailer

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  7. BlackKn|ght

BlackKn|ght Just Joined

Finally, after so long ArmA looks like I always wanted it to. I cannot wait for Op Arrowhead, my BFBC2 time will surely take a massive hit when it is released.

8. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Arma 2 got mixed reviews mainly due to it's wealth of bugs in the single player game, was that ever fixed?

9. Ned

It's being actively patched and supported..
    Category:Arma 2: Patches & Updates - Bohemia Interactive Community

I don't play this game so can't really comment but the patch notes look promising.

===

ARMA 2 - Operation Arrowhead released on Steam..
    ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead on Steam

..and soon elsewhere (AUS)..
    Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead - PC Game Games Warehouse Australia Shop and Buy Online

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  10. BlackKn|ght

BlackKn|ght Just Joined

Who's going to get OA then? I am so close to pulling the trigger on this one, since I'm an old OFP/ArmA/2 player, but not sure if it will have a decent player base here in Aus... anyone interested?

11. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

I've got it and it's not too bad. Multiplayer is much the same from what I've noticed, but with perhaps some new weapons - had thermal camera ontop of my rifle which made friend and foe ID damn hard (well, except when it shows that I killed someone with friendly fire) :p

Not sure about the single player bugs, only really play MP with it.

Graphics to me do seem to be a big improvement but could just be me. Looks a lot more realistic.

12. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

Father - this isn't really a single player game. It has a single player mode but you get AI as your friends but they are ridiculously stupid and you spend forever trying to give them orders. It simply doesn't work and you'd uninstall the game straight away.

I've been playing A2 for the last 7 months, played in two different clans, there is a huge community out there (but not in TOG) and I've modded the bejesus out of my system with realism patches and things like that. There is no hosted servers. The only mplayer servers are hosted by clans/communities and as such its a bit of a minefield with mods and patches.

Yes - I'll be getting OA on 9th July (its available on steam aind direct d/l already).

This is not a game. It's a military simulator. Most people I play with are ex-military. This is hardcore. We use military language, fireteams, communication protocols etc.

I love this game but its not for the casual gamer. If you like it "real" then you'll love this. :) PM or post if anyone has questions.

13. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

I love the idea of this game - I've got ArmaII, but was so put off by the single player side that I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for MP. Might have to give it another try.

I'm over arcade shooters, but I've found warfare sims to be too ridiculously over the top with their logistics that it takes the game out of it. Project Reality (mod for BF2) is an excellent mod, but the reality for the average player is a whole lot of black screen (when dead) and a hell of a lot of walking due to limited vehicles, and not enough people wanting to be dedicated drivers.

ArmaII any different??

14. Fox

ARMA2 has so many mods out there (for health/revive/death) you'll find different experiences each time. The most popular mod will see you dead and rolling around on the ground waiting for a medic to revive you. If no medic comes in 2 minutes then you can opt to respawn at base. For most twitch players, 2 whole minutes of no gaming is intolerable. A2 is a team oriented co-op military sim. If you've isolated yourself away from the medics then the consensus is you deserve to watch yourself roll around on the ground for 2 minutes. That said - there are modes that let you respawn immediately but they are mostly shunned by the community.

As with the walking - the distances are so large you HAVE to have transportation. Walking simply is not an option. Objectives might take 15 minutes to walk it - you just can't do it. If you're playing co-op with a clan then you'll find at least one person is happy to go dedicated pilot/driver. If you're playing with a bunch of noobs on an open public server then you'll find they've installed a mod that lets you teleport to the objective instantly so long answer, if you find yourself walking for ages then you've screwed up and left your team.

On the co-op side Father - its very team oriented like SWAT 4 is. You can play head to head with people but most people enjoy the co-op side. Co-ordinating flank attacks against AI (who are both dumb and smart) and seeing who can suppress and assault without any casualties.

I play hardcore mode - my specialty is behind-the-lines intel gathering. I'll covert infiltrate and lay in a bunch of bushes and my sole job is to relay back enemy composition and movements. In my last 6 hours of gaming I've probably fired about 10 times. Of course, most people grab a gun and hit the front line and shoot it up as best they can but this game has no scripted roles. In my forward-observation role I can do artillery spotting and fire control and Forward Air Controller roles as well. Again, I don't get to shoot but I see the big bombs come in. :twisted:

Freaked you out yet?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  15. NotoriousD

NotoriousD Getting Started

So here are my thoughts..
    I played OFP/Arma/Arma2 with a couple of squads around...

The public server aspect of this game blows.
    Nothings worse playing with 6 friends, and then discover the helicopters have been snagged by a pub nub, crashed near a target and need to be repaired, but the nub has lost interest and logged off leaving you with 30 mins of work ahead of you.
    If you're going to play, you need to find a tightnit group like Fox is talking about.
    That means, dedicated roles with player maturity, with people doing their job.
    This game is unforgiving- but rewarding.
    For example, urban warfare- its as nightmarish in game as it is in real life.
    You need to work as a team, cover each other while moving etc.
    It is a real buzz of buzzes to successfully move across a town without a death though...
    Playing with serving or ex-military or people who have played as a cohesive unit for a good amount of time, or a willing to learn is very valuable. Playing with COD types is a recipe for disaster and squad breakup.

And there between the lines is the rub.

The trick is finding a good group who will work together..
    Sometimes they go overboard on anal. For example one squad leader would micro manage his groups as to how they marched, in what formation, what distance to walk at and bark orders at us. Sometimes, people need to remember that it is a simulation and a game, and not real life army.

I enjoyed the game, when people were playing together and working as a cohesive unit. I didn't enjoy it when it was overboard, or 24 lonewolves running around like idiots. I didn't enjoy it when it was lonely and nobody was around.
    I didn't enjoy it when it became WOW in Arma (Sahrani Life mod), I didn't enjoy it when it was "time to download another gigabyte" aka Ace Mod Update (which seemed to be weekly for a while there).
    I also didn't enjoy being a modders map tester with 1001 map restarts. Its great it has mod tools, but if you're going to expect others to play it, do some testing yourself first!

I'd love to buy the expansion, I'd love to have a good group of people to play with (which I can imagine TOG are), but the numbers of willing participants is the sticking point for me. Would need to be 5 or more of us, anything less than that and it just isn't worth it.

Anyway, my 2c

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  16. Father

I picked it up on sale, I was quite underwhelmed with the demo when it was released and I really wanted to like it coz I like America's Army, not the same but it does kinda appeal to the same audience to a point, a bit slower, a bit more real but gave it a miss at the time.

So after reading up on the patches etc I bit the bullet and purchased it, still doing some training and getting familiar with things. The demo definitely should be re released as it's not doing them any favours, the game's post patch performance is clearly much better then what the demo was which was one of my main issues.

Not quite ready to jump into MP, not sure if I will ever find the time either.

17. Fox

Father - ARMA2 has a 1.07 patch released about 2 weeks ago - it has a lot of performance fixes for high end PC's.

Notorious - I play hardcore like you mentioned. Formation, covering firing arcs, no farting unless you ask first. Hardcore and not for everyone.

I also play a more casual squad tactic like you mentioned. Send me a PM if you'd like to be a guest player with my crew some time (TS3 and Arrowhead required).

18. Ned

All but one of the seven updates released mention AI improvements. Has this been noticeable?

19. Father

Well I just spend most of tonight on the basic training, there is mission where you have to solo attack a village. There's a bunch of AI there, I have to say they certainly hunted me down once they spotted me or I took one of them out, they seemed to be quite aware of where to look for me as well. At the same time there were occasions that I was lying prone and an enemy was standing right above me but they didn't seem me on time, this is where the AI broke down in a strange way.

I wouldn't say it's perfect but it's pretty darn brutal though, I tried for almost 1.5 hours to get through that mission without getting killed before I finally managed to take em all down, seeing them before they see you is certainly crucial, as is situational awareness. A standard FPS would probably have taken 30 seconds to mow this many adversaries down, not really an option here. But that is not purely dependent on AI off course, the game mechanics are rather unforgiving when bullets meet the flesh :)
    You need to be extremely careful and plan every move you make.

I never played the 1.0 version so I can't compare but if the game's aim is to make you feel that your survival is dependent on planning, patience and care then it certainly succeeds in my book on that front

I have not started the campaign yet so can't say anything about that just yet but so far I'm having a good time with it, I like the simulation aspect of it as the kills you get are more satisfying as they certainly ain't cheap.

But I hope the campaign's bugs are worked out with all these patches as it would be a shame if it falls short there. I'll definitely be talking about it on the TOG podcast as well.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  20. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

Yup - just got it through Steam - be warned.... it's a 7.4GB file :p

Fox sold me on the strategic gameplay talk - I'm over arcade shooters these days. Give me something that's challenging and rewarding :)