AoC investors jumping ship!

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Reoh, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

2. Corpeces

Corpeces Well-Known Member

Aww man. Maybe developers will learn if they release a game with few bugs and more content, then they wont have to spend the first couple of months getting the game to what it should have been at release. Then they can spend the time doing something with the game other then fixing it. I took a break from the game due to RL stuff but to be honest...I don't miss it.

3. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

I uhm, bought it. its my dirty little secret. I didn't even last the first 'free month', after a couple weeks I just uninstalled.

4. Corpeces

I liked the game a lot even with all the problems it had. The game just ran out of steam after lvl 65

5. Deadfyre

Deadfyre Well-Known Member

What. You expect gaming companies to learn from their mistakes? They are only looking forward to the release so they can get busy lining their own pocketbooks and waiting for everyone to leave so they can make a new game.

Its like expecting beta testers to test and report bugs?

If companies had decent quality assurance people, then they wouldn't have to rely on free beta/alpha testers.

I could go on, but I shall shut up.

6. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

These days, 'beta testing' is really more of a free preview to amp up the hype and promote launchday sales. I do report bugs though, in beta or not when I find'em. :p

7. Gorebane

Gorebane Just Joined

I've read that Funcom are actually working on another MMO using the AOC engine.

If I had to guess I'd say that the powers that be decided it best to release AoC a few months before WARs release, regardless of the game's readiness, in order to make a quick buck from retail sales and subscription fees.

It's pretty much a forgone conclusion that upon WARs release AOC's player base will virtually disappear. I think they knew this and acted as such.

8. Deadfyre

Oh, if things go good, and I hope they do; then even the mighty Wow will feel the wrath of War coming. With that said, I suspect that all online games will take a player base dent when War releases.

I just hope Mythic is prepared. But they were for DAoC.

9. morbius

morbius Active Member

Yes the last thing we need is server issues because of overload. I hope they're ready for a big subscriber base on launch.

10. Vulcan21

Vulcan21 Well-Known Member

Knowing most game companies, my best guess is that they won't be. ;)

11. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

WAR's lack of commitment to endgame PVE raiding will hurt it. I get what they're doing, going after what they do best. The reason WOW has done so well is they took the best elements of everything, tied it in one package, and went after every type of MMORPG player with a bigname gaming franchise of lore, history, and fanbase.

12. Toeza

Toeza Just Joined

So where do ToG mates hang out on the Set server? I have a couple toons there. I have been looking for members to say hi and .... nothin. Im on a wow hiatus and really enjoying my AoC.My barb is real fun to play, I dont understand why a clothie >>>>Necro<<<< has to be a tank also when he has 5 minions supporting the caster. Typically cloth casters either have cc or a minion that deals w/ agro and to me its no fun when you have to juke and jive w/ npc targets when you pop yer 1st minion on the bad guys. Their on ya like stink on sh t.. Go figure. To me that mechanic is all wrong.So needless to say for me a melee class toon is the way to go here and I can deal to several nps's @ 1 time .

13. PandaMan

PandaMan Just Joined

Lol, my favorite thing is when they claim to be ready for a large subscriber base and still get overloaded :p

14. Corpeces

WAR does have end game commitment. It has City Sieges which is high lvl content. But one of the best features is, the high end content of City Sieges is partially dependant on the lower lvl content.

15. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

WAR Does have endgame content, but I was specifically referencing their lack of endgame Raiding PvE content. The only endgame raiding pve content they have are during city raids. These are only available briefly after taking an enemy capital. While there are probably endgame PQ's I'm not aware of, raiding public areas can be promlematic and their endgame pve from all reports seems to revolve around smaller group based efforts or general PQ's. This doesn't fit inline with the way raiding guilds tend to operate and so unless they decide that the admirable RvR flair that mythic is renowned for is worth it, they'll likely avoid making large strides into the game.

As I was discussing with Keddle not long ago, when World of Warcraft launched, they also had limited endgame raiding content. They had Molten Core and that was about it, but that was at least something and more importantly they had displayed the intent to expand upon it. Which they have done, adding many more pve raiding areas to the game back at 60, in their TBC expansion, more since the launch and are maintaining that with a new style of raiding dungeons in Wrath of the Lich King which will be scalable to the size the raids maintainable to bring even more endgame raiding content to guilds that couldn't previously experience some of it.

If WAR would at least display an intent (and ofcourse, follow up with it) to have endgame raiding pve content (I should have developed an acronmyn for this post on that, it would be half as long! haha) then they could barter that away and increase sales, instead they seem to be going for their 'niche'. I say, if you can go for it all, why not take it all!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

16. Deadfyre

daoc wasnt prepared for endgame raiding content until really shrouded isles. what hurt them was taking it to far to extremes with the overkill that was the trials in Atlantis.

to this day, no game company has made an xpac quite like the trials of atlantis. and frankly, if they know what is good for them, then they wont make one either.

17. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

MMO's are like business, the most succesful have divisions that cover as many bases as popular, those that focus too strenuously on particular elements often end up in relative obscurity.

18. Tux

Tux Active Member

I love the game, im very disheartened atm with the memory leak that crashes my system and is making grouping as a heler impossible and grouping in general very un satisfactory...yesterday i got the Authentication error and couldnt log in for about 8 hours...am starting to look elsewhere

19. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Tux, hope they get it all sorted out or you find what you're after :)

20. Dressy

Dressy Guest

I read somewhere to day that there will be 40 man raiding in WAR. Im not sure where the article was from but it was from some online preview or review. Now Im not sure why they chose to do 40 man stuff. Its a big mistake if they have.

And lets not forget that there is several instances in the game. ITS JUST NOT PVP ;-)