Anyone still play Roguelikes?

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!' started by Celem, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Celem

Celem Active Member

Just curious as to who still plays Roguelike games. Over the years I played quite a range like uMoria, Angband, Nethack, Linley's Crawl/Stone Soup and similar titles.

Inspired by this i've begun development of my own c++/opengl roguelike, its currently just a tiling engine but work progresses somewhat in my spare time.

Question is: Do people still play roguelikes?

As a follow-up: I havent currently implemented an ASCII interface, tiles are the only option. Do you think I should also support ASCII for the 'old-school' gamers still out there? From the forums i've visited it seems some gamers are die-hard ascii users.

Project (in infancy) is opensource under the GPL. Anyone curious can find it at
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/elowatha/ (Note, pre-alpha, isnt actually playable, just a map you can walk about in)

2. Tulgar

Tulgar Battlefield Leader

I have played anything like that for many years! A little different I think, but I remember playing depths of mordor or something like that maybe 10 years ago and it ate some serious hours!

I think if you are going to invest some time into development, make it purely to suit your tastes rather than pleasing anyone else! I dont know how it all works, but if ASCII is more work, then screw that. Get the game concepts etc up and running and go from there. (its amazing how much easier it is to dish out advice about something you have know idea about after a few beers :) ).

3. Celem

Celem Active Member

usually ASCII was used because it was easier. This was back when most pcs couldnt do graphics. For me its pretty much easier to go graphical since opengl is....well...an open standard that runs everywhere.

The original benefit to the ASCII is ofcourse that you can run it in a console, I have to build a Win32 window instead so im currently limited to Windows environments.

Ahh well, I can worry about all that later I guess and just implement what seems most fun.

4. Mixa...

Mixa... Retired Captain

@rouge for iphone...great fun :)
    snazzy graphics but the same old game play....bloody kestrals

5. ima poster

ima poster Just Joined

I played Angband a few weeks ago, just to see if it was as I remembered. Enjoyed myself for a while.

6. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

Hells yeah! I still visit Ragnarok regularly and also love the heck outta Dwarf Fortress. Not a traditional roguelike, but that's where it's roots are. The one I enjoy on my phone/DS is Powder.

7. Celem

Celem Active Member

Heh, Dwarf Fortress is awesome. Infact it dragged a lot of time away from my own project lately.
    Adventurer mode is pretty roguelike and fortress mode is massively addictive too.

Incidentally, im currently porting my game off the Win32 framework across to QT so linux and mobile versions will be a future possibility. Its all happening in my freetime, and since I recently managed to land myself a serious IT job I dont have as much time as i'd like....

Still, much love to all you old school types for keeping the market for this type of thing alive!

8. hoppy

hoppy Guardian Captain

Back in my Unix sys admin days used to spend hours playing rogue :)

9. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

10. Plexx

Plexx Just Joined

rogue was my all time fav for these types of games....."the medusa's gaze has confused you".... great stuff!

11. Salvanas

Salvanas Getting Started

Can't believe no one's brought up Nethack yet.

I still log into NAO every now and then for a quick game. I'm terrible at it, but finding out new ways of YASDing - that's half the fun, no? ;)

12. BlackD

BlackD Server Admin

Yeah, I still play them from time to time, including most of those mentioned earlier in the thread. As for ASCII in games, it's such a pain these days because nobody really accepts it anymore with the exception of the oldies amongst us.. and even so it barely holds our attention.

Sometimes I still do it for the retro-look, but I'm generally faking it and am actually doing it all in OpenGL. I'm over actually trying to write console output as a game medium.

13. ColRipper

ColRipper Retired Advisor

Still play Nethack and Dwarf Fortress myself. Its hard to beat the best right? :p Personally I have always liked the old school ascii games, more concentration on game, less on fancy graphics.

14. Justin Kace

15. Justin Kace

RnR likes this.
  16. RnR

RnR Retired Captain

Oooh... that looks pretty awesome!

17. Justin Kace

I know right! I was pretty pissed I missed that Kickstarter, but turns out the wait wasn't too long. :)

18. Justin Kace

And just by the way... It's really REALLY good.

19. Celem

Celem Active Member

Indeed, I'm all over FTL. Great concept, fairly unique gameplay and one of those awesome roguelike titles designed to be played through in single sittings. Any fans of the genre, take a look. You wont be disappointed.

20. Wongdai

Wongdai Retired DC

Yep. I still play Nethack and Ancient Domains of Mystery (ADoM) every month or so. Been playing these for at least 20 years now, maybe longer.