[DONE] 50 is the new 30 >.>

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Shems, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Shems

Shems Getting Started

Hello,

So a little about me: I’m 52 and have been a gaming for quite some time. But these days I kind of feel bad of getting in gaming groups, because I’m always older than everyone by quite a lot; and I started to think that maybe I should just quit trying to be social (game-wise). But my son, who tells me that 50 is the new 30, won’t have any of it. So I actually googled ‘older gamers’ – and was pleasantly surprised to find your site.

As for games, the first machine that I played on was a Coleco (pong), and I can still remember the satisfaction of hearing the ‘boo-boop’ of the rebound shot. Then I played Nintendo consoles, and moved on to PC years ago.

I like many single player games, such as BG1-2, Dragon Age, Skyrim, etc. As for MMOs, I’ve played LOTRO, SWTOR, GW1-2, and these days I’m just doing the BfA expansion of WoW. I’m also interested in tabletop-style games with voice: D&D,/Wod (world of darkness), and RP (I love writing).

I’m from Canada, East Coast, and play mostly on week-ends (week evenings too, when my work schedule allows).

2. Sysmon

Sysmon World of Warcraft Captain

Hi there! We have a few guilds of WoW in the US East Coast and Central timezones. They are situated on Proudmoore and Runetotem mainly, and can be found down in the Dark Portal here. Are you Horde or Alliance (only one right answer)?

:D S

3. Shems

Shems Getting Started

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

Well I don’t have any characters on those servers; but with the new system (with the servers linked), it makes things easier.

So far as faction, I used to be 100% Horde (like forever), and have around 10 Horde characters lvl 90-94 – but, as of recently I also have 3 Ally characters, lvl 100-116. They’re all on ED/WA and MG.

Don’t want to spoil the story-line for others, but yeah with the BfA playing a NE felt very interesting, lore-wise. I play on RP and RP/PVP servers for the occasional RP or WPvP. Makes playing more immersive, I find.

Hm… also I can’t find the Dark Portal, sorry :oops:

4. Sysmon

Well, as soon as an admin has shuffled this way and exhaustively scrutinised your application, you should be let into this exclusive gamers paradise we so humbly call TOG. Then, and only then, will the most private forum named The Dark Portal be available to you. And then, in the bright future that so awaits, feel free to peruse the Dark Portal and sign up with a guild of your choice. You can probably roll a toon on the server and ask for an invite to check them out. Alliance side tends to be more active in my experience. But I've mainly played Horde. Playing Alliance makes me feel a little bit dirty, maybe due to a past propensity for PvP. I'm curious about the NE storyline though, considering all that has happened to their starting zone.

EDIT: We used to have a guild on Emerald Dream. It meandered off somewhere. It might sit empty and wait to be revived, but it's probably easier to just join one of the active guilds instead.

newfulla and 2_islands like this.
  5. Shems

Shems Getting Started

Oh yes, of course. Silly me. :rolleyes:

But yes, if I’m accepted I’ll roll a few toons on one of the servers, Horde side.

And honestly, I hear you for the ‘feel a little bit dirty’ thing. The other evening, I was on my NE hunter, flagged, and shot at a BE hunter by mistake - who was also flagged (we were killing the same Elite) – and I felt exactly that. I even had my character apologize, and their character didn’t even fight back, the player just had him waved. ^^ I don’t make a very good Alliance player. XD

Thank you for all of that. :)

Sysmon likes this.
  6. Shrubbo

Shrubbo Captain Sparkles Staff Member Moderator -= BRONZE =-

Do I detect sarcasm there Sysmon? I'll have you kno... yeah bullshit. I'll let her in.

Congratulations! You have past our stringent don't die before 25 application requirement and have made it into TOG.

Keep in mind there is more here than the division for that flaky game you have signed up for. There are other flaky games which all have their own division and other things of wonder, joy and wtf.

Public Forums (Philistines only or less then 25. Same thing)
    Member Forums (General chat, cat videos, VR, laboratories, Steam and Discord invites)
    Member News (If you have a mind like mine you just laughed)
    Simulation and Sports Divisions (This is for simulation and sports games!)
    Strategy, RPG and other Games (This is for err... Strategy, RPG and other Games)
    FPS (Brutal and horrific death. Lots of fun!)
    MMORPG (Also brutal and horrific death but sometimes ponies)
    Operations (The name you picked is stupid and you want to change it? Policies and stuff)

2_islands likes this.
  7. 2_islands

2_islands Dark side ... Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Now that you’ve past the stringent entrance exam, welcome. I hope you enjoy your stay.

8. Shems

Shems Getting Started

Thank you for the approval of my application, Shrubbo. And yes, I shall look at all the things. :)

And thank you 2_Islands for the warm welcome. I did sweat a lot from writing that application, actually (figuratively speaking). But everyone seems really nice, so I have a good feeling about this (famous last words :eek:)

newfulla and Shrubbo like this.
  9. Sysmon

What's this 'sarcasm' thing you refer to, Cap'n Sparkles?

Tulgar, Shrubbo and CAMMO like this.
  10. Shrubbo

Shrubbo Captain Sparkles Staff Member Moderator -= BRONZE =-

There was none? Oh... you think..? Heh ok, lets go with that then :D

newfulla, Sysmon and Tulgar like this.
  11. newfulla

newfulla Captain Americas Army Staff Member Moderator

hahahaha, this is not going to end well...

Welcome to TOG @Shems :)

Shrubbo likes this.